Friday, January 25, 2013

And the winner is Alex Grey, for the award given to the Artist Who Lent The Most Credibility to the LSD Blotter Artwork as a true medium and a collectable asset of value!!

This is numbered 418 out of 500 existing that were released with Alex Grey's signature, and had no LSD on them. Superb example of the hands down winner in the hypothetical competition's hypothetical category for "Original Artwork Actually Created For Edible Dissemination To The Public.




Its also no surprise that its an example of the very best, and most well known, most celebrated artist, (probably ever) who went far beyond the vanity blotter stage, and at a time way before people even knew what Vanity Blotter was, as it had not been invented yet.... And in pioneering this very seldom traversed path he created a masterwork for the purpose of copying and having a third party ensure that the prints were put into the hands of the right "print enhancer" for eventual mass personal consumption. There are many other notable artists whose work made its way onto active LSD blotter...But none that I know of who created the painting specifically knowing that "It Is Possible... That It Will Certainly Be Used As An Actual Distribution Medium For Acid"**

I have always admired and been incredibly impressed with Mr. Grey's work, and I also, always loved telling people about this LSD from my experience with it, when it was around.... But I didn't know he was the genius behind the art until 10 years later, give or take. Truly a unique work of art for this reason, by the archetypal psychedelic visionary artist of our time.

An incredibly admirable means by which to casually do something never done before, as a well known artist, already, at that time.

Bravo, for the highly uncredited, pioneering actions, Mr Grey. One of the coolest and most selfless things, (HEDGING MY BETS: ....And even if it turned out that you did not create this directly FOR this reason, but only later sanctioned its cause, it makes it no less admirable, since its still a first in its own right, were this to turn out to be the case... )

(P.S.As I understand it, I have done the best of my ability to put together the story behind this art. However, I am ALWAYS open to refining it if anybody is intimately familiar with details for which I am not. I am not Wikipedia, and therefore, direct firsthand biographical subject accounts are perfectly acceptable here. If you are ever to see this, Mr. Grey, and have an issue with anything I have said above, I'd rush to alter the narrative in accordance with your telling of it. After all, you were there, and I came late to the party, eating my first encounters with it, and spending a fortune to acquire my second run-in for the sake of collecting!)

**It should be noted that My only firsthand experience with this artwork carrying real LSD was actually the version of it where the entire picture appeared on every 100 individual (10X10) Perforations--I do not have credible evidence for or against the notion that the larger, full-pictorial on the entire 30 X 30 block of 900 squares was ever released to the street in clandestine form or not. I'd be super curious to know if it was from anybody that, again, might know more then I.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Heedless Blotterfelon is always interested in striking up a message board dialogue with anyone who is interested enough to do so. So leave a comment...Or leave a question, and if its one asked in seriousness, you'll get a response. We promise.